Did you know that fitness models drain their bodies before every shoot? Here is the ultimate guide.
If you want to get in top shape for a photo shoot and get rid of excess water, you should know the simple secret of drainage.
Otherwise you are wasting potential. The process is relatively simple and, except for the last day, pretty easy.
Many of my clients have achieved their personal best with the following 5-step system. In advance of the shooting for my book “Looking Good Naked”, I went this way myself.
For whom is the 5-day drainage suitable?
You should bring two requirements with you, otherwise it’s not worth it:
- You are already athletically defined: As a man, your body fat percentage may be below 12% (optimally: below 10%), as a woman below 18% (optimally: below 15%).
- You need 5 days: Your “day X”, on which you want to be in top form, is at least 5 days in the future.
Maybe you ask You now …
Why should you drain your body?
Some people think the subject of “dehydrating the body” is nonsense.
After all, it’s about cosmetics .
This means that targeted dehydration is just as “sensible” as attractive clothes, exciting cosmetics or an attractive hairdressing.
Maybe it’s about fascination .
To try something new with your own body. You see how it feels. Hear new body signals. Maybe develop a new taste …
Or it is about partying .
It is a good quality to celebrate success. In fitness mentoring, I work with each of my clients to develop a target image for their body in the right . A photo shoot can be a wonderful reward.
Imagine you have achieved your goal and you are holding the photo in your hand.
Next to it is your target picture from back then. And you think to yourself…
“Wow! You did it! ” A magical moment that is yours forever.
Do you have to drain your body? Absolutely not.
But if the thought of it fascinates you just a little, then read on.
What happens during drainage?
Have you ever noticed that some days you look better in your underwear than other days?
This can have two causes:
- Minimal water retention under the skin
- Maximum water retention in the muscles
In principle it is easy to flush out excess water. But if you get it wrong, you can do the exact opposite and lose your complete definition.
When your muscles become flattened because they run out of water, the remaining body fat becomes much more prominent.
You want to keep your muscles well hydrated in order to be in top form in boardshorts or bikini.
If you understand how your body stores water under the skin and in the muscles, you can manipulate your water balance in your favor.
dehydration # 1 – why you store-water under the skin ( and what it releases again)
The main reason for undercut water is excess sodium, e.g. from table salt (sodium chloride).
The liquid is “trapped” under your skin because the water molecules attach to the sodium ions.
The result is also called “subcutaneous fluid retention”.
The fewer sodium ions in the subcutaneous tissue, the less bound water.
Plant extracts can additionally support the drainage of the subcutaneous tissue:
- Asparagus extract has a dehydrating effect without harming the body. 1 Asparagus contains a lot of saponic and aspartic acid – and they stimulate kidney activity. 2 3
- Nettle extract supports drainage. The silicic acid contained and various flavonoids are responsible. 2 3 Studies show a diuretic effect for some flavonoids (e.g. quercetin). 4 5 6 7
- Dandelion Extra t has a stimulating effect on the kidneys and bladder and thus promotes drainage. 8 The main players are so-called sesquiterpene lactone bitter substances. 9 10
Dehydration # 2 – what binds water in the muscle?
The muscle fuel glycogen has the greatest effect on how full your muscles are filled with water.
Every gram of glycogen stored in the muscle binds about three times as much as water.
Whether your muscular glycogen stores are empty or full can easily make a 1-2 kilo difference on the scales.
And optically it makes a huge difference.
How do you get the drainage of the subcutis without losing muscle tone?
Dehydrating your body: How to get in top form … in less than a week
Many people are surprised when they hear the most important measure:
Drink. Much. Drink.
Up to about 24 hours before the time when you want to show off with perfect definition.
Then you limit the amount you drink.
But you not want to throttle the water supply too early . Not only because you then lose muscle volume … it would not be healthy.
On the other hand, you also don’t want to increase the amount you drink too soon .
This drainage can be tricky …
Dehydrate body # 1 – 5 days to go: add less salt
5 days before your event (day X) you start by eating less salt.
Your meals may taste a little bland. No sauces, no salsa, no ketchup, etc.
Otherwise you can continue to eat healthy and balanced as before. Instead of salt, you can use other spices: paprika, chilli, pepper, vinegar and oil, etc.
Now is a good time to go through the next few days in your mind, step by step.
The idea is that you have a clear timetable for the next few days in your head and that you are ready to stick with it.
Perhaps you are already looking forward to how you stand amazed in front of the mirror in 5 days in the morning and the first word that comes to mind is: “Wow …!”
Dehydrating body # 2 – 4-3 days left: Drink a lot
Day 4 and 3 before day X look identical.
The goal is to drink a lot more water than you need.
This causes your body to start releasing the water under your skin.
With the excreted water, you also lose minerals. Therefore, you should supplement them with a multivitamin / mineral supplement. Sport-in-Form and Basoform organic from FormMed.
How to proceed:
- Drink the specified daily amount of water for your body weight (see below).
- Continue to eat a low-salt diet.
- Use a multivitamin / mineral daily until “day X” -Supplement (recommendations in the dietary supplement guide)
You should drink this much water on day 4 and day 3 before the event:
- 40-70 kg body weight: 5.5 liters of water
- 70-90 kg body weight : 7.5 liters of water
- 90-115 kg body weight : 9.5 liters of water
The goal is that you drink enough water that you have to pee about every 2 hours.
Ideally, you wake up several times at night and have to go to the toilet. Before you go to sleep again, you should drink another large glass of water.
With this you condition your body to flush out excess fluid.
Caution: Even more can become a boomerang at this point. It is a good idea to use the weight indications given and not go overboard with drinking.
Dehydrating body # 3 – 2 days left: Drink normally
Today you do the following:
- Drink the amount of water specified below for your body weight.
- Now avoid salt as much as possible (only small amounts are still acceptable).
- Use a nettle-dandelion-asparagus -Extract as a mild, natural and safe dehydrating agent. Follow the instructions on the package. I use FormMed Aqua-in-form (costs: 1 euro / day).
You should drink this much water on day 2 before the event:
- 40-70 kg body weight: 2.75 liters of water
- 70-90 kg body weight : 3.75 liters of water
- 90-115 kg body weight : 4.75 liters of water
dehydrate body # 4 – 1 day left: drink little
The last day is not exactly a walk, but you will master it well. After all, there are only 24 hours left until the big moment.
Today you drink very little and avoid meals that are rich in liquids, such as Soups.
Now your body is hardly holding back any water under your skin.
The plant extracts additionally support the drainage … but now you have stopped the supply.
Proceed as follows:
- Drink the amount of water indicated below in small sips throughout the day.
- Salt is now completely taboo!
- Continue to use a nettle, dandelion and asparagus extract for natural drainage, e.g. FormMed Aqua-in-form. Follow the instructions on the package.
You should drink this much water throughout the day:
- 40-70 kg body weight: 200 ml water
- 70-90 kg body weight : 300 ml water
90-115 kg body weight : 400 ml water
Your body separates from the water in the subcutaneous tissue
dehydrate body # 5 – day X: Today you are in top form
If you have followed the guidelines for the last few days, you should be in top shape today.
Then you will see the difference in the mirror as soon as you get up.
If you want to maintain your top form throughout the day, proceed as follows:
- Drink: water, distributed in small amounts throughout the day.
- Eat: Small, regular snacks made from dried fruit and nuts – e.g. Trail mix.
As soon as the shoot or the special moment is over, you can relax. Have fun, enjoy the time.
It is good if you now drink a lot of water again and listen to your feeling of thirst.
Practical if you pull it off for a beach vacation: You will look more defined than usual for up to 7 days.
Dehydrating the body – bonus tips …
Here are some additional “best practices” to help you avoid the most common dehydration mistakes:
- Do not overdo the water withdrawal: Only limit your drinking amount drastically as stated above in the 24 hours before the event – not beyond.
- Beware of alcohol: If day X includes an event that involves alcohol – be it a wedding or other celebration – be careful! You don’t tolerate as much alcohol as usual.
- Sweating helps: It helps if you make your training sessions in the week before “Day X” sweaty. With the sweat, salt and water are also washed out of the subcutaneous tissue.
- No super-low-carb: You want to prevent your muscles from looking flat on day X due to depleted glycogen stores . Therefore, you should eat enough carbohydrates in the week before the event. Depending on your body weight, you shouldn’t go below 100-150 grams per day. If you cover 35% of your calorie requirement with carbohydrates, you should be well supplied.
- There is still something possible: The method described is the 80/20 solution. Little effort, a lot of profit. If you are really serious and want to take part in a competition, e.g. on stage as a bodybuilder or in the ring as a martial artist, there is still some room for improvement if you control your diet precisely. But if you just want to “look good naked”, like a model, then you don’t need more than this way.
In 5 days to a six-pack model. Why not?
If you already have a low body fat percentage today … why shouldn’t you also go the last mile and reach the definition in a few days with which fitness models go to a photo shoot?
For many people, a photo shoot is a great motivation and at the same time a nice reward.
The effort that you still have to make for this is manageable. The result could be unique. The 5-step method described will help you to drain your body.
I am of the opinion that successes can be celebrated. Whether with a photo shoot or something completely different – a friend rewarded herself, for example, with a parachute jump.